Monday, June 2, 2008

Perfect Florida Day







I just had the perfect Florida day. I spent the morning at Hontoon Island State Park. It’s a small park with some hiking trails. I didn’t get a lot of pictures but the walk was nice. I figure I did about 5 miles. I enjoyed the solitude. The drought here has left its mark. While walking through the nature trail I got a sense of Florida how it must have been to the early settlers. Rather forbidding seeming. I found my way to the shoreline and got a photograph of a Great Blue Heron. Not a lot of wildlife out, three squirrels, the Great Blue, and an Ibis. But still a nice walk.

After my visit to Hontoon Island I came home and spent an hour floating in the pool in the sunlight and then headed toward Merritt Island to see the space shuttle off. Since I’ve been in Florida I haven’t missed a launch but this was my first sight of the space shuttle taking off from closer than my own backyard. Long ago when I was in high school I talked my way into president of the science club by promising a trip to see a launch of what was then Apollo. Unfortunately personal and family problems prevented me from making good on that promise or even assuming my post as president. I feel badly about that. But I finally made good on the promise to myself.

I arrived about 3 hours early, plenty of time to get a great spot and I alternated reading with talking to people until it was time. It wasn’t quite as loud as I expected or as close but a great experience nonetheless. I need to do it again and next time I need to get one of those special tickets I hear about that get you closer. I promised myself I would look at the launch rather than photograph it but I couldn’t resist a couple of shots.

After seeing the launch I headed up to Daytona Beach and had dinner with my husband. I capped off the evening with a quick dip in the pool and slept soundly.

I love living in Florida.



No comments: