Thursday, June 11, 2009

Scenes from a Train - 1


Hello, I promise you I have set a reminder for myself and a new plan to update my blog more frequently. I have some photographs to show you and talk about so that should keep me going for awhile.

Last June I talked about taking a train to see my daughter. On the way up I got a small room on the train rather than just a seat and I spent the time taking a lot of photographs. It was more a way to pass the time and I expected maybe to get one or two that were decent. I got several more and I’m going to put them together in a series called “Scenes From a Train”. This is one of them.

I call this “Now is Forever Gone”. Riding on the train I was intrigued by this car that was driving on the road next to us. It stayed with us for a short while until a change in the road took it off to the side. When I first looked at the photograph I wished that I had taken it when the car was more in the frame and I got to thinking about time. I remembered the phrase that is now its title. Say that phrase once to yourself and let it sink in. What I have done is blurred in circles. The car signifies us traveling through life. The outer circle at the left is very blurred, representing the far past. We remember things from our past but blurred. As each circle gets closer to the car it is less blurred until the circle surrounding the car is in sharp focus. The area in front of the car is blurred as well. We think we can see the future but it is blurred as well. And just as the road took a turn our future can as well.

I will share more of these with you in the coming days.

No comments: