Saturday, September 6, 2008

Another Word Photograph

I was at the opening for the 100% Pure Florida exhibit at the Fifth Avenue Gallery in Melbourne tonight and another photographer and I were discussing the differences between photography and painting. I saw the perfect example on the way home.

I was traveling down 46, which has just opened up again after the floods from Fay, when I noticed that the sky was lighter to my left. I thought it might be the last vestiges of sunset but a quick glance to my clock told me that the sun was long since down. It was the moon, only a quarter, but it made a wonderful reflection, lighting up the wetlands. I quickly thought, I have to come back here and get a photograph when the moon is full. And just as quickly though, yeah great idea Alison, let’s go stand by the side of the road on 46, a dark two lane road with no shoulder and a speed limit (or as we call them in Florida, suggested minimum speed) of 65, right next to the water, at night. Just me, the speeding cars, the alligators, and my tripod. Oh, well, I’ll have to leave that scene for the painters.

No comments: